Subscribe via Email
Get the Survivor Benefit Plan Guide!
Top Posts & Pages
- Military Pension Tax Rates By State
- Terminal Leave: Take it or Sell it Back?
- Term Life Insurance Vs. Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)—A Side By Side Comparison
- Why You Should Strongly Consider Not Participating in the Survivor Benefit Plan
- 3 Tax Considerations When Selling Your Rental Property In The Military
- Transitional Compensation for Abused Dependents
- SGLI Conversion-Why VGLI Might Be Better Than Whole Life Insurance
- Dangers of Taking Out a TSP Loan
- SGLI After The Military: What Happens?
- 3 Ways to Make the Most of Your Terminal Leave
Category Archives: Insurance
A common question that I’ve heard is, “What happens to my life insurance (SGLI) when I leave the military?” This is a very important question, and one that you should address when you’re looking to either retire or separate.
Life insurance is a complex topic. When you’re trying to find the right policy for your situation, it’s easy to get confused by the different types of polices that are available. Two of the most common types of policies term … Continue reading
Let me preface this by saying that since I joined the Navy, I’ve been in five auto accidents. No injuries have ever occurred, and the police have never issued me a citation in any of these accidents. With that said, … Continue reading
In the military, we’re used to thinking of life insurance as $400,000 in SGLI, whether we need it or not. However, that’s a ‘one size fits all’ type solution, which isn’t the right answer for most situations. If we think … Continue reading
A common question that I’ve heard is, “What happens to my SGLI when I retire from the military?”
This is a very important question, and one that you should address when you’re looking to either retire or separate. Either way, there may be times where you decide Continue reading
You might wonder why I wrote an article that seemed to advocate SBP, then followed it up with an article that seemed like SBP-bashing. I did so for two reasons. First, both articles seek to provoke critical thinking…I think I soundly met that objective. Second, putting those two articles side by side shows my true focus…when you’re looking at your decision to retire from the military, you need to make sure you address SBP properly. After all, if you make the wrong decision, you’re stuck with it. With that said, I got hit up on both sides of the debate. Continue reading
My first book, Military In Transition’s Guide to the Survivor Benefit Plan, is available for pre-order on and will be available for download on June 30. If you’d like to learn more, please send me an email or join Military … Continue reading