Subscribe via Email
Get the Survivor Benefit Plan Guide!
Top Posts & Pages
- Military Pension Tax Rates By State
- Terminal Leave: Take it or Sell it Back?
- Why You Should Strongly Consider Not Participating in the Survivor Benefit Plan
- Term Life Insurance Vs. Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)—A Side By Side Comparison
- SGLI Conversion-Why VGLI Might Be Better Than Whole Life Insurance
- 3 Tax Considerations When Selling Your Rental Property In The Military
- Transitional Compensation for Abused Dependents
- FAQ: What Happens to My Life Insurance When I Leave the Military?
- SGLI After The Military: What Happens?
- Dangers of Taking Out a TSP Loan
Tag Archives: taxes
A transition from active duty is a very turbulent time. Whether you are retiring, separating, or going to the reserves, there are a lot of financial impacts to your life. It’s important to take some time to recognize what those … Continue reading
Real Estate Lessons Learned This is the story of my first house, which my wife and I bought in our twenties. It’s not really as bad as the cool Star Wars picture to your left. Things worked out in the … Continue reading
According to the IRS, 5 million people were expected to file amended tax returns for 2014, out of 131 million original filings. For 2015, the IRS expects over 150 million individual returns, which means even more amended returns can be expected. Continue reading
When you make the decision to sell your home, it can be for any number of reasons: relocation, buying a bigger home, downsizing, or because it makes financial sense to do so. In fact, I previously wrote an article about this here. However, there are times in your military career where you just can’t sell your home as soon as you leave it: you’re underwater, you might move back into it later on, it’s got potential to make a lot of money as a rental, or timing issues. From the moment you have a tenant move into your house, it’s no longer your home…it’s a rental property. Whatever the reason for selling your home, let’s take a look at three tax considerations you should take into account: Continue reading
In the military, there are many reasons for selling your home. You can sell for any of the following reasons: relocation buying a bigger home downsizing retirement/separation because it makes financial sense to do so Let’s take a look at … Continue reading